Ayurveda Skills for Living
A life changing experience
Welcome, Each year, I am blessed to partner with 20-30 individuals and help them unleash their inner healer. This course is presented as a six module immersion, which serves as the foundation for introducing Ayurveda’s major themes in an easy to understand, immediately usable way.
In order to truly understand Ayurveda, you have to experience it. First you work on yourself, clean up your body/mind and then you can share with others. My overall goal is to EMPOWER and EDUCATE each student, on the basic user friendly principals of Ayurveda. This course is for those wishing to take control of their health, in a loving nurturing way. If you think about it, your health is your greatest asset. If your healthy, then you have the ability to throw your self wholeheartedly into life. Ayurveda is a time honored modality which has as its goal, optimal health and longevity for the individual. The emphasis is on prevention and maintenance of the body/mind.
Rather that waiting until we get sick, Ayurveda looks to our day to day habits and suggests practices done over a persons lifetime to keep the body healthy and balanced. So come and be part of a group of like minded adventurers. Be a trailblazer and invest your time in your health. Learn the fundamentals of Ayurveda from an experienced nurturing teacher like Eleni. Its the best gift you can give yourself.
WHAT IS AYURVEDA?
Ayurveda, Yoga’s sister science is the natural healing system of India. It is a 5000 old, wisdom based, traditional folk medicine. More than just a medical system, Ayurveda is a way of life. The primary focus is on co-operating and living in harmony with our true nature. Ayurveda’s emphasis is on prevention, without neglecting cure. This ancient science views each person as a unique and complex mix of the physical, energetic, spiritual and psychological.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF COURSE?
First and foremost, you will learn Ayurveda in a fun, safe, immersing environment. You will hang out with some like minded souls and learn, a whole new way of looking at yourself and your health. You will adopt daily rituals to maintain your health and experience greater vitality, amazing digestion and elimination. Your sleep will improve and your energy will increase. Your mind will be clear and focused and your emotional outlook and relationships will improve. You will also have a greater connection to nature and a deepening sense of your Each weekend we will spend time in my kitchen, the mother of the house. This is where we create our food and alchemize our medicine!! To give you a taste, some of the goodies we will make include ghee, kitcheri, seasonal spice blends, medicated oils, balms, face powders, creating a home apothecary and much more.
The course is offered in two formats:
1. Six in person weekends . This is the whole package and will equip you a big picture view of Ayurveda and give you the skills to become an effective home healer. The Format includes lecture, practical projects and student homework. Weekends are held at 971 Manzanita street, Silverlake LA 90029. Class days and times are Saturday and Sunday 10am-5pm. Lunch is 1 hour each day. Cost of course $1800.
2. Individual modules. You want to commit, but you don’t have the time. Pick and choose from modules 1-6 and attend those. If you want to get the full effects of this course then take module 1 in combination with any other module. The first class lays the foundation and provides a context for the later classes. Module 1 can be attended in person or you can purchase and listen to the recorded lecture. Each module is self contained and builds from the previous one. At the beginning of each module, we will review the basics of Ayurveda as they relate to the module being taught. The dates, times and locations are the same. The cost is $400. per module.
Ayurveda Skills For Living - 2018 dates
please email me for information about class schedule firstname.lastname@example.org
Module 1 Ayurvedic Theory and Philosophy
The goal of this module is to introduce students to the philosophy, cosmology and spirituality that underpins the Ayurvedic understanding of the world and the individual.
- Big Picture - The Ayurvedic view of life, health and spirituality
- The redefinition of health and disease
- Where does disease come from and what causes it
- The role we play in our health
- What's the meaning of life - an ayurvedic approach
- Samkhya philosophy - The evolution of consciousness into matter
- The seamless, fundamental relationship between Yoga and Ayurveda
- Introduction to Tridosha theory
- Who am I? How to determine your body type and your current state
Module2 - The body an Ayurvedic view
The goal of this module is to introduce students to the three Dosha’s and provide a deeper understanding of their function beyond the form.
- The three energetic templates of matter
- The 10 pairs of opposites qualities The Five Elements, the building blocks of life
- The three body types, Vata, Pitta, Kapha
- The Doshic process and its ever-changing cycles throughout our lives, the seasons, times of day, and our digestive process.
- The three fundamentals of Health- Eating a life supporting Diet, Sleep, the body’s repair system and management of daily stressors
- Digestive fire or Agni, the centerpiece of Health
- Toxins or Ama and their role in the dis-ease process
- Daily detoxing-How effective is yours daily?
- Healthy immunity or Ojas, the foundation of good health
Module 3 Lifestyle is the new medicine
The goal of this module is to introduce the daily practices throughout your lifetime and Together we will design personal practices to stabilize the body/mind and maintain health.
- Food practices and excellent digestion, your key to health and vitality
- Daily health regimens for spring, summer, fall, winter and transitional periods
- The secrets of your tongue
- The secrets to healthy satisfying elimination
- Learn to love your sleep
- Practices for relaxation and stress management
- Transform your home and work environment to support and nourish your soul?
Module 4 Food, Nutrition,
The goal of this module is to introduce food as the foundational pillar of medicine and wellness, which places the individual at the center of the digestive experience.
- Food the Ayurvedic perspective
- Categories of Food and the six Ayurvedic tastes
- The heart of the home, the Kitchen - How to make cooking a nurturing practice.
- Food quality and eating practices(frequency of meals, water consumption, the role of healthy fats, raw food vs. cooked food, organic vs. fresh)
- Deciphering mild digestive symptoms
- Determining the right food for my digestive capacity
- Creating an individualized food plan
Module 5 Introduction to Herbs - Nature's Medicine
The goal of this module is to introduce students to the world of spices and their use as digestive aids and medicines.
- 15 x Culinary spices that will change your life
- Using spices as medicine
- Using herbs to fire up your metabolic processes and detoxify the system
- Herbal tonics over a lifetime
- Herbal teas that support and increase mental focus
- Creating a herbal dispensary
- Learn to make your own herbal goodies
Module 6 Managing Mind and Emotions
The goal of this module is to introduce Ayurveda’s sister science yoga and its major tools, Asana, Pranayama and meditation as practices to focus and stabilize the mind
- The elements as expressed in the mind and personality
- The subtle doshas of the mind
- The archetypes? Proactive, Reactive or inactive
- The emotional traits exhibited by the dosha
- How to change habits
- Are you excited about life…….full of Joy and energy?
- Does your life have meaning and purpose
- Are you engaging in the best exercise for your body type
- Meditation (focused attention) & Pranayama (breathing exercises) as tools to treat the mind and emotions
- Healing your Life - Marc Halpern
- The way of Ayurvedic Herbs - KP Khalsa & Micael Tierra
- The Yoga of Herbs - David Frawley & Vasant Lad
- Discovering the true you with Ayurveda - Sebastian Pole
- Ayurveda & the mind - David Frawley
- Ayurveda the science of life - Vasant Ladd
- The complete Book of Ayurvedic Home remedies - Vasant Lad
- Ayurvedic remedies for the whole family - Dr Light Miller
- Ayurveda & Aromatherapy - Dr Light Miller
- Eat Taste Heal - T.Yarema MD, D. Rhoda, J Brannigan
Students are encouraged to purchase 2 books, one on herbs and one on the general principals of Ayurveda. Please refer to
The other books are suggested reading to encourage deeper connection to the material.
Eleni delivers her teaching and truths in a way I can absorb them. Because she has a deep understanding of the learning process she doesn’t overwhelm. Eleni is keyed into her audience so that is becomes a dialogue. No question is too simple, no concept too advanced not to break down. Her teaching has immediate practical and useful applications. Eleni's enthusiasm for her subject and sense of play is contagious. It makes learning fun, it makes applying the lessons in my life an adventure. I see the world through an Ayurvedic lens now and it has helped my health and my life enormously. I will never stop learning from her. Molly Hagan
Eleni’s workshops are well organized and easily “digestible”. Her teaching style combines the perfect blend of theory, practical knowledge and hands on experience. Her deep knowledge of Yoga and Ayurveda, and years of teaching experience enables her to contextualize the material and connect with students from all walks of life and levels of study. Eleni is one of those rare teachers that is truly walking the walk. With her down to earth style, she empowers you to use the tools to tap into your own true wisdom and well being. You will leave feeling nourished and inspired! Kathy Cass MA, BC-DMT, NCC, CYT, E-RYT-500
Yoga Therapist, Board Certified Dance Movement Therapist, Nationally Certified Counselor, Adjunct Instructor
Ayurveda has changed my life, and Eleni's teaching and guidance really helped make it all happen. In addition to the intimate, informative, and magical 80 hour course I took with her, I also have seen her one-on-one as my Ayurvedic clinician for well over a year. Together I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge of the science of Ayurveda, myself, and the world around me. I've also received an invaluable set of life-skills and self-care tools that I continuously apply to my life. Most importantly, I have a mentor and friend that knows me, cares about me, and is committed to helping me and so many others to tap into our own inherent ability to heal, balance, adapt and thrive! I am so grateful to have found Eleni and I highly recommend her as an educator and clinician. Nikki Aiello
For most of my life, my relationship with food and fad diets was combative, at best. I thought the chronic stomach aches and overwhelming heaviness were just the bum cards I was dealt. And then came Eleni, with her arsenal of herbs and an infectious love of Ayurveda. She awakened me to the healing powers of food and herbs and taught me to make the tiny, yet necessary, seasonal adjustments to keep me constantly feeling light and full of energy. I still have the same cards, but now I'm playing a smarter game. Sandy Comstock
I had been looking to make some lifestyle changes with regard to self-care. As a yoga teacher Ayurveda seemed the logical route so I began reading and researching on my own and it was not long before I was completely overwhelmed with information. Thankfully, I began a 300 hr. yoga teacher training where Eleni taught the Ayurveda portion. That teacher training module was so transformative, that when Eleni announced she was offering a 5 weekend course, I did not hesitate to sign up. Eleni doesn't merely teach the science of Ayurveda. Eleni empowers her students to discover the healer within by guiding them through experiencing first-hand the life skills that make up the practice of Ayurveda. She takes a vast and ancient philosophy and makes it accessible and relevant for what is going on in the modern world today. L. Deligio
Eleni is one of the most important mentors in my life. Her knowledge of Ayurveda is complete, but more than her knowledge , it is her investment to connect with and empower her students, that makes her an amazing teacher. She is a living example of the potentiality of a loving diet and lifestyle, and is truly an inspiration for all to look up to. Through her courses and working with her privately I have rediscovered my connection to the earth through plants as medicine, reflection and self-care. My life has become a practice rooted in nature; I love my body and trust my intuition more and more every day. The physical ailments that I originally sought her expertise for were just the starting point for an amazing journey of self-discovery. They now seem quite small (and non-existent) as I am encouraged and supported by her to embrace the possibilities and power of self healing. Meeting Eleni was the intervention that has completely changed my life, and it is my greatest wish that everyone could be so lucky to find a teacher of her gift. Brooke Eberle
Eleni is amazing! Her courses not only ignite a passion for health and healing, but also for life itself! The classes are truly one of a kind and will give you life changing skills that help you become and stay healthy and feeling fabulous! It will change the way you look at the world and yourself. It's her little touches (from her teas to decor) that remind us how wonderful and important self-care is. Her sense of humor and clear teaching help to make the material easily digestible. Her courses are absolutely transformational! So be ready to get your world rocked (in the best way)! Joy-D