This is the original recipe given by Yogi Bhajan to my Herbalist teacher KP Khalsa which I share with you.
I make this tea during those cold wintery days. I love the spiciness of the tea and usually drink the herbs, minus black tea or milk.
Yogi Tea is great for circulation and boosting energy.
It’s a wonderful substitute for coffee and with the addition of milk and black or green tea you have a great chai.
- Black pepper is a blood purifier
- Cardamom treats the colon and gas
- Cloves for the nervous system
- Cinnamon for the bones
- Ginger has a great taste and is useful when recovering from the flu or general weakness.
- 8-10 cloves
- 10-15 peppercorns
- 8-10 cardamom pods or 1tsp seeds
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3-6 inches of fresh ginger
- Crush peppercorns and cardamom seeds, peel, and slice ginger.
- Add all ingredients to 2 quarts/2 liters of boiling water for one hour, leave lid slightly cracked open to prevent boil over. Turn off heat and set overnight. In morning, strain out spices and refrigerate.
- Optional Add 1/4 tsp of black or green tea per cup. Let sit for one or 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup cow, coconut, soy, rice, or almond milk per cup, stir and reheat.
- Caution: when warming yogi tea and milk, it tends to boil over, so watch closely!