Ayurvedic Travel Tips 101
It's summer and most of us will take a trip. Travel whilst exciting, with its new places, people and things can be destabilizing and increase our Vata (the force of movement).
Go Have fun, but create some daily rituals that will give you stability and routine.
My travel tips:
1.Before you drive or fly indulge in a long oil massage or Abhyanga and let it soak in for at least 20-30 minutes.
2. Make sure to lubricate all openings in body, think, ears, nose, lips, belly button, and top of head. Oil is heavy and moist. It pacifies the nervous system and guards against the dryness of air travel.
3. Make sure to take a two-ounce bottle of oil on your carryon. Once the plane has taken off, oil your feet and wear socks. During a long flight reapply oil to face, ears, nose, top of head and feet
4. Your thermos (a girl’s best friend). I usually bring some fresh shredded ginger in a plastic bag. Place the ginger in the thermos, give to the flight attendant to fill with hot water and sip throughout the flight. Ginger tea is warming and improves peripheral circulation.
5. Sleep: I use ‘Sleep Easy’ from Banyan Botanicals. I find 4-6 pills gives me 6 hours of deep sleep.
6. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
7. Try to take only warm food.
8. Make sure you stretch. I go to the back of the plane and do my stretches a couple of times during a trip.
9. When you arrive at your destination, stick to the local time. In the evening before bed, do a long abhyanga and take 1 tsp triphala with warm water. The abhyanga will ground you and the triphala will ensure regular bowel movements.
Enjoy your travels! Love, Eleni